SSGT David G. Bellavia, Medal of Honor Recipient

Staff Sergeant David G. Bellavia Bio Image

Nov. 10, 1975
Lyndonville, New York
June 1999
11B Infantryman
3rd Platoon, Alpha Company, 2nd Battalion, 2nd Infantry Regiment, 3rd Brigade Combat Team, 1st Infantry Division
Kosovo 2003, Operation Iraqi Freedom I, II

Staff Sgt. David G. Bellavia was born, Nov. 10, 1975, in Buffalo, New York. The son of a successful dentist and the youngest of four boys, Bellavia grew up in western New York and attended Lyndonville Central High School and Houghton Academy.
Following his high school graduation in 1994, Bellavia attended Franklin Pierce University in Rindge, New Hampshire, and the University at Buffalo, where he studied biology and theater before turning to the military.

Bellavia enlisted in the U.S. Army as an infantryman in 1999. After One Station Unit Training, the Army assigned Bellavia to the Syracuse Recruiting Battalion; an assignment which allowed his infant son to receive the medical care he needed. In 2001, Bellavia had to choose between changing his military occupational specialty, submitting a hardship discharge, or remaining as an infantryman and leaving his family for 36 months on an unaccompanied tour to Germany.

After the terror attacks on 9/11, Bellavia felt his country needed him and chose to stay and fight. That sense of duty had been ingrained in Bellavia since he was a child by his grandfather, Joseph Brunacini, who served in the Army during the Normandy Campaign in World War II and earned a Bronze Star for his valor.

In the summer of 2003, Bellavia’s unit deployed to Kosovo for nine months before receiving orders to deploy directly to Iraq to support Operation Iraqi Freedom. From February 2004 to February 2005, Bellavia and the 2nd Battalion, 2nd Infantry Regiment, were stationed in the Diyala Province along the Iranian border. Throughout the year, his task force took part in the battles for Najaf, Mosul, Baqubah, Muqdadiyah and Fallujah.
Bellavia left the Army in August 2005 and cofounded Vets for Freedom, a veteran advocacy organization that sought to separate politics from the warriors who fight in the field. Their membership consisted of tens of thousands of veterans who fought in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Bellavia returned to Iraq as an embedded reporter in 2006 and 2008 where he covered the heavy fighting in Ramadi, Fallujah and Diyala Province. In 2007, he wrote a book, House to House, detailing his experiences in Fallujah. He also had several articles appear in national publications and made appearances as a guest on cable news networks. Bellavia currently is a successful business owner and a loyal Buffalo area sports fan.

Bellavia’s awards and decorations include the Medal of Honor, Silver Star, Bronze Star, Army Commendation Medal with Oak Leaf Cluster, Army Achievement Medal with Oak Leaf Cluster, Army Good Conduct Medal with Bronze Clasp and two Loops, the National Defense Service Medal, Kosovo Campaign Medal with Bronze Service Star, New York State’s Conspicuous Service Cross, the Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal, the Global War on Terrorism Service Medal, the Noncommissioned Officer Professional Development Ribbon with Numeral “2,” the Army Service Ribbon, Overseas Service Ribbon with Numeral “2,” the Presidential Unit Citation, Combat Infantryman Badge, Driver and Mechanics Badge and the NATO Medal. He was inducted into the New York State Veterans Hall of Fame in 2005.

Staff Sgt. Bellavia currently resides in western New York and has three children.
Buffalo Bills Hall of Famer Thurman Thomas presents David Bellavia a jersey before a game, November 2007. (Photo courtesy of David Bellavia)

Staff Sgt. David G. Bellavia recalls the battle in Fallujah, Iraq.

Operation Phantom Fury | November 10, 2004 | Fallujah, Iraq

Read Unit History
Staff Sgt. David G. Bellavia was a squad leader in support of Operation Phantom Fury in Fallujah, Iraq. Their mission on the night of Nov. 10, 2004, was to clear a block of 12 buildings, where it was thought six or more insurgents had taken shelter. A Bradley Fighting Vehicle was supposed to provide fire support, but a malfunction on its 25mm cannon meant the platoon would have to kill or capture the ant-Iraqi forces (AIF) without it.

After finding nothing in the first nine buildings, Bellavia’s platoon moved into the next compound, where they immediately came under fire from the front hallway. Two insurgents manning machine guns under a stairwell had been waiting to ambush the Soldiers as they attempted to clear the home. Moments later, more AIF opened fire from a window. The combined gunfire from the stairwell and the window meant the Soldiers were trapped.

Rounds from the insurgent weapons struck the walls and floor, and began wounding Soldiers. Two were bleeding from the face due to shattered glass, and another was grazed by a round to his stomach. Unless something happened quickly, the trapped Soldiers would die.
AIF House First Floor Engagement

AIF House First Floor Engagement
“I could not use my rifle, I look down and I had a round that hit the magazine, couldn’t have asked for worst luck.”
Staff Sergeant David G. Bellavia

Decisive Action
Recognizing the danger they were in, Bellavia exchanged weapons with an M249 SAW gunner and entered the fatal funnel of the room. As enemy rounds snapped past and impacted the walls around him, Bellavia squeezed the SAW’s trigger until it was empty, forcing the enemy to take cover and allowing the Soldiers to move into the street.

Staff Sgt. Bellavia then called for another Bradley Fighting Vehicle to suppress the outside of the building. After the BFV fired several 25mm rounds into the house, Bellavia decided to move back inside to determine whether insurgents still occupied the bottom floor of the house. He placed two SAW gunners and another Soldier in the courtyard as the inner cordon while he and Michael Ware, a TIME magazine journalist, entered the house.
Upon entering, Bellavia heard insurgents whispering from the other side of the wall. Mr. Ware was told to run if anything happened, but he insisted on following. Bellavia entered the room and fired at the insurgents, but was forced to fall back after receiving return fire.
Staff Sgt. Bellavia looked into the room a second time and saw one of the insurgents loading an RPG launcher. Understanding how devastating the weapon could be to his platoon, Bellavia single-handedly assaulted the room and killed the insurgent with the RPG. A second insurgent fired a machine gun at Bellavia, who shot and wounded him before he fled into a kitchen.

For some time, Staff Sgt. Bellavia and another Soldier exchanged gunfire with the insurgent hiding in the kitchen. When the Soldier began to run low on ammunition, Bellavia told him to leave and bring back an M16 and a shotgun.

Clearing insurgent strong point
AIF House Second Floor Engagement

AIF House Second Floor Engagement
Alone again, Bellavia realized that his back was facing a room he had not cleared. As he quickly moved into it, clearing each corner, an insurgent ran down the stairs and started firing at him. Bellavia found cover against a wall and thought about his next move. Through the gunfire he could hear screams from upstairs and from the room he had just cleared.

While Bellavia tried to assess the situation, the wounded insurgent in the kitchen ran toward the bedroom door and began blindly firing an AK-47. Bellavia returned fire and continued to improve his position for a better shot. Once the insurgent exposed himself in the doorway, Bellavia aimed and fired, eliminating the threat.

The insurgent on the stairs immediately began firing again, but as he turned to aim, Bellavia saw his exposed position and shot him. The insurgent slumped to the floor, mortally wounded.

Suddenly, another insurgent leapt out of a wardrobe and began firing as he tripped on the furniture, pulling it down do the floor. Luckily, it landed with both doors open, providing Bellavia with cover. The insurgent got to his feet and attempted to move across a bed, but he lost his balance and Bellavia shot him multiple times. As he fell to the floor, the insurgent fired a burst from his weapon, narrowly missing Bellavia. The wounded insurgent then picked himself up and ran upstairs to the second floor.

“I hit blood. I lose my entire footing and I just fall. And then the guy shoots a round right where I was standing.”
Staff Sergeant David G. Bellavia

Staff Sgt. Bellavia followed the blood trail up the stairs, where he heard the insurgent in a room to the left. Bellavia tossed a grenade into the room, and the blast knocked the insurgent onto the second-story roof. Seriously wounded from gunfire and shrapnel, the insurgent tried to give away Bellavia’s position until he was silenced.

Exhausted both physically and mentally, Bellavia took off his helmet, set down his weapon and waited for the other Soldiers to arrive. Then, while Bellavia smoked a cigarette, another insurgent jumped from the third-story roof to the second story. As the insurgent landed just three feet from Bellavia, his knees buckled and he dropped his weapon, giving Bellavia enough time to shoot him with his M16. When the wounded insurgent attempted to raise his weapon, Bellavia fired the rest of his magazine into him, causing the insurgent to fall off the roof into the garden below. Bellavia was then called back inside to move his unit out of the area due to an incoming close air-support mission.

That night, Bellavia single-handedly saved an entire squad, risking his own life to allow his fellow Soldiers to break contact and reorganize when trapped by overwhelming insurgent fire. He then voluntarily entered and cleared an insurgent strong point, killing four and seriously wounding another. His actions stand as a testament to those who put everything on the line as they do the grim work required to keep each other safe and alive on the battlefield.
Soldiers of 1st Platoon, Alpha Company, enter and clear a building during heavy fighting, Nov. 9, 2004, in the Askari District of North Eastern Fallujah. (Photo courtesy of David Bellavia)
Staff Sgt. David Bellavia handles an improvised explosive device found on a patrol in Muqdadiyah Iraq, March 2004. (Photo courtesy of David Bellavia)
Soldiers with 3rd Platoon, Alpha Company, 2nd Battalion, 2nd Infantry Regiment, 3rd Brigade Combat Team, 1st Infantry Division,
Staff Sgt. David Bellavia, Staff Sgt. Colin Fitts and Sgt. Chuck Knapp await the command detonation of an improvised explosive device factory in the Industrial District of Fallujah, November 2004. (Photo courtesy of David Bellavia)

About TEANewYork

TEANewYork was established as a resource for many things political, issue-oriented and policy-wise, and for things you can actually do, to actively participate in reforming our severely dysfunctional New York State government. What are you waiting for? Jump on in!
This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s