The Oppressors in New York State Government are at it again. They never miss an opportunity to kill jobs and destroy businesses.
A bill has been put forth that redefines private construction work, and with prevailing wage tied to it, it will add 30% to all labor costs. If this law is passed it will jeopardize and likely shut down a multitude of private New York State construction companies, while forcing others to cut back on their labor force.
It’s already an extremely fragile market for construction currently, and if this bill passes, companies will be unable to keep up with the added expenses. Layoffs will occur in order to compensate for the increased costs, and those that anticipated expanding will be unable to hire any new employees.
This bill was proposed by Democrat Erie County Executive Mark Polocarz, Democrat Elections Commissioner and Party Chairman Jeremy Zellner, and the Democrats of the Erie County Legislature, who obviously do not have the best interests of NYS residents and businesses at heart.
The bill has already passed in the Assembly (A5498 -Bronson) and it’s currently in Committee in the Senate (S2975 -Murphy). Its intent is to (besides beef up the Unions and put private contractors out of business):
- Redefine public work to include all projects that receive any form of public assistance
- Tie prevailing wage to all Industrial Development Agencies (IDAs) and local development entities work
It is URGENT Senate Members hear from us to let them know this is BAD LAW. Please contact your Senator and the Sponsors below.
- How long you’ve been in business
- How many employees you have
- How the law will affect you
- increased labor costs will force me to lay off workers
- my company won’t be able to bid these projects anymore
- This law will cause a 30% increase in private construction costs which will destroy economic development in NYS
- Do what’s right for NYS contractors and taxpayers and vote against this bill
For more info contact:
Associated Builders & Contractors Inc., Empire State Chapter